RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp version

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp version Carusoswi 18 Apr 19:26
  Gimp version rich404 18 Apr 20:02
   Gimp version Carusoswi 18 Apr 20:43
    Gimp version rich404 19 Apr 08:09
    Gimp version Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list 20 Apr 00:01
   Gimp version J Leslie Turriff 18 Apr 23:17
  Gimp version Kevin Cozens 18 Apr 20:37
2020-04-18 19:26:44 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Gimp version

When I check the 'about' menu item, I see that I am running Gimp 2.10.18. When I check Ubuntu's software area, it lists Gimp 2.10.8-2. I assume that is an old version, but wonder why it would be there instead of 2.10.18.

. . . and, if I have 2.10.18 on my machine, I'm wondering how it got there, as I only install Gimp from the Ubuntu software area.

Maybe this is a question for the Ubuntu forum, but I am checking here in hopes that someone can inform me.

Thanks.

Caruso

Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
rich404
2020-04-18 20:02:39 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Gimp version

When I check the 'about' menu item, I see that I am running Gimp 2.10.18.
When I check Ubuntu's software area, it lists Gimp 2.10.8-2. I assume that is
an old version, but wonder why it would be there instead of 2.10.18.

. . . and, if I have 2.10.18 on my machine, I'm wondering how it got there, as I
only install Gimp from the Ubuntu software area.

Maybe this is a question for the Ubuntu forum, but I am checking here in hopes
that someone can inform me.

Thanks.

Caruso

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the default Gimp version comes from the Debian version.

Guessing you use Ubuntu 19.10 based on Debian 10 and hence Gimp 2.10.8 is the default.

If you have a Gimp 2.10.18 it is a 'snap' version from the so-called ubuntu software centre.

The problem with snap applications is they are 'self-contained' & 'sandboxed' and can be limited if you ever intend to use any extra compiled plug-ins or external RAW editors such as Rawtherapee or Darktable.

rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Kevin Cozens
2020-04-18 20:37:07 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Gimp version

On 2020-04-18 3:26 p.m., Carusoswi wrote:

When I check the 'about' menu item, I see that I am running Gimp 2.10.18. When I check Ubuntu's software area, it lists Gimp 2.10.8-2. I assume that is an old version, but wonder why it would be there instead of 2.10.18.

Distros often have versions of software that are older than what may be available from the official site for a given program. They do it for any number of reasons. Some distros prefer to use only what they consider tried and tested software. Other distros provide software versions that are closer to the latest. Those distros can be for the more "adventurous types" or those that need to be running close to the current releases of software.

You have some options. You can build the latest version of GIMP yourself but if you aren't used to building software it is not a trivial task to do it the first time. You can for a PPA for GIMP. That will let you install and update GIMP the same way you install other packages on your machine. The other option is to check the GIMP website for a downloadable file that will give you the latest version available. If you use the latter option it will likely be up to you to keep the program up to date.

Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                     | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include      |             --Chris Hardwick
2020-04-18 20:43:41 UTC (over 4 years ago)
postings

Gimp version

Ubuntu is based on Debian and the default Gimp version comes from the Debian version.

Guessing you use Ubuntu 19.10 based on Debian 10 and hence Gimp 2.10.8 is the default.

If you have a Gimp 2.10.18 it is a 'snap' version from the so-called ubuntu software centre.

The problem with snap applications is they are 'self-contained' & 'sandboxed' and can be limited if you ever intend to use any extra compiled plug-ins or external RAW editors such as Rawtherapee or Darktable.

Thanks for the reply. I am certain now that I did download '18' as a snap from the software center. Still curious why that version does not appear when I search the software center. I remember having to set permissions before Gimp would work properly.

I do use darktable extensively, as it is among my favorite RAW editors. On the Windows side, I use Capture One, also, IMHO, very good. I got rid of PSCC in favor of Gimp on both sides. I have experienced no problem with GIMP in conjunction with darktable, but have not tried to use any extra compiled plug-ins.

I am an avid photographer (film and digital), and consider myself a fairly advanced user of photo-editing software, but I am certain there is much more that I could do by learning even more.

Thanks again for your informative reply.

Caruso

Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
J Leslie Turriff
2020-04-18 23:17:46 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Gimp version

On 2020-04-18 15:02:39 rich404 wrote:

When I check the 'about' menu item, I see that I am running Gimp 2.10.18.
When I check Ubuntu's software area, it lists Gimp 2.10.8-2. I assume that is
an old version, but wonder why it would be there instead of 2.10.18.

. . . and, if I have 2.10.18 on my machine, I'm wondering how it got there, as I
only install Gimp from the Ubuntu software area.

Maybe this is a question for the Ubuntu forum, but I am checking here in hopes
that someone can inform me.

Thanks.

Caruso

I've never liked these 'convenience' packages, just because of such issues; unfortunately they seem to be becoming more popular than regular installation packages. :-(

rich404
2020-04-19 08:09:09 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Gimp version

Thanks for the reply. I am certain now that I did download '18' as a snap from
the software center. Still curious why that version does not appear when I
search the software center. I remember having to set permissions before Gimp
would work properly.

....snip....

While the Gimp Help -> About displays the version, look in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders and the paths to the resources.

The attached shows a comparison both in Ubuntu 18.10 (now well passed end-of-life)

There is a regular Gimp 2.10.6 plus a 2.10.18 flatpak installation which is similar to a 'Snap'.

There is a difference which will give a clue as to which 'flavour' is in use.

Attachments: * https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1404/original/which-installation.jpg

rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
Cliff Pratt via gimp-user-list
2020-04-20 00:01:43 UTC (over 4 years ago)

Gimp version

What do you mean by "software center"? Do you mean the "Ubuntu Software" app?

When I look at Ubuntu Software it shows 4 entries for Gimp. It claims I have many of them installed. There are three sources. They are 'ubuntu-eoan-universe' (2.10.8-2), 'dh.flathub.org' (2.10.12), and 'snap store' (2.10.18).

When I use "Show Applications" (the grid of 9 dots at the bottom left) and search for Gimp. I see three icons. I haven't investigated them.

I have a link in my Favourites which points to 2.10.8.

I've no idea how I achieved that! Sorry. I must sort it out!

Cheers,

Cliff

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 9:12 AM Carusoswi wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am certain now that I did download '18' as a snap from
the software center. Still curious why that version does not appear when I search the software center. I remember having to set permissions before Gimp
would work properly.

I do use darktable extensively, as it is among my favorite RAW editors. On the
Windows side, I use Capture One, also, IMHO, very good. I got rid of PSCC in
favor of Gimp on both sides. I have experienced no problem with GIMP in conjunction with darktable, but have not tried to use any extra compiled plug-ins.

I am an avid photographer (film and digital), and consider myself a fairly advanced user of photo-editing software, but I am certain there is much more
that I could do by learning even more.

Thanks again for your informative reply.

Caruso

-- Carusoswi (via www.gimpusers.com/forums) _______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list List archives: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-user-list

My Amazon author page : https://amazon.com/author/cliffpratt
My Facebook author page : https://www.facebook.com/cliffprattauthor
My Search on Kobo : https://www.kobo.com/search?query=Cliff+Pratt