RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

XCF Version Support Issue

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

XCF Version Support Issue Kai Johnson 16 Mar 01:55
  XCF Version Support Issue Johnny Rosenberg 16 Mar 16:40
Kai Johnson
2011-03-16 01:55:40 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Hello,

I recently re-installed Ubuntu Lucid and installed gimp-dev 2.7.2. I had been working on a project in Ubuntu Maverick gimp-dev 2.7.2 and now when I try to open these .xcf files I get an error: 'failed: XCF error: unsupported XCF file version 3 encountered' and I am unable to open the file. On my other machine, running Ubuntu Maverick gimp-dev 2.7.2 I can still open and work with these files.

Is there anything I can do to get the full compatibility back?

Thanks! -Kai

Johnny Rosenberg
2011-03-16 16:40:33 UTC (over 13 years ago)

tis 2011-03-15 klockan 21:55 -0400 skrev Kai Johnson:

Hello,

I recently re-installed Ubuntu Lucid and installed gimp-dev 2.7.2. I had been working on a project in Ubuntu Maverick gimp-dev 2.7.2 and now when I try to open these .xcf files I get an error: 'failed: XCF error: unsupported XCF file version 3 encountered' and I am unable to open the file. On my other machine, running Ubuntu Maverick gimp-dev 2.7.2 I can still open and work with these files.

Is there anything I can do to get the full compatibility back?

I think the error message explains it all. You used a dev-version of GIMP to create XCF files, right? So it seems like the dev version of GIMP saves in a newer version (3.0) of the XCF file format than the older and stable GIMP version does.

So you obviously need the dev version (2.7.2) of GIMP to open the files.

I can think of two ways to solve this: Either you install gimp-dev 2.7.2 on your Ubuntu 10.04 computer, or you convert the XCF 3.0 files to the XCF format that the older GIMP supports.

If the 2.7.2 dev version is not in the Ubuntu 10.04 repositories I guess you need to find something to download and install manually somehow or, in worst case, find the source and build it yourself.

Thanks!
-Kai
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user