RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Am I stupid or What?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Am I stupid or What? Nick 30 Aug 23:50
  Am I stupid or What? Elwin Estle 31 Aug 00:55
  Am I stupid or What? Stefan Maerz 31 Aug 01:59
  Am I stupid or What? Noel Stoutenburg 31 Aug 07:47
   Am I stupid or What? Vincent Ardern 31 Aug 08:07
  Am I stupid or What? Ofnuts 31 Aug 08:42
Am I stupid or What? <walton@12on14.com> 31 Aug 01:24
2010-08-30 23:50:41 UTC (almost 14 years ago)
postings

Am I stupid or What?

I've only been using computers for about 25 years, and gimping along with Gimp for about 6 months, so why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered. It's driving me nuts. I can't seem to do ANYTHING without Youtube or Forum help. Maybe I should just head to the iceflow with my last pile of firewood...sigh.

Elwin Estle
2010-08-31 00:55:49 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

Perhaps if you just played around without any specific goal in mind?  Just pick a command and see what it does, then move on to another one, combine a couple and see where that takes you.

The main things with Gimp are, IMHO, learning to work with layers, selections, masking and channels.  Once you get a "gut feel" for what to do with these, then you can start stringing things together to get the effects you want.

--- On Mon, 8/30/10, Nick C. wrote:

From: Nick C. Subject: [Gimp-user] Am I stupid or What? To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Date: Monday, August 30, 2010, 5:50 PM

I've only been using computers for about 25 years, and gimping along with Gimp for about 6 months, so why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered. It's driving me nuts. I can't seem to do ANYTHING without Youtube or Forum help. Maybe I should just head to the iceflow with my last pile of firewood...sigh.

<walton@12on14.com>
2010-08-31 01:24:45 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

Nick,

I started dabbling with digital graphics before Photoshop, and my first PS was 4.0. So some 15 years later, using PS seems very simple and intuitive to me. But I have taught PS, and I know it isn't.

I got GIMP when it was 1.3 (that's the earliest on this computer). GIMP seemed clunky compared to PS, but that's what I call the light switch syndrome: in someone else's house you reach for the light switch on the wrong wall, you know how to use a light switch you just can't find it.

I think GIMP is much like that compared to PS. But if you've never used any graphics program before, you have three things to learn, regardless of the program: the concepts (layers, channels, masks, selections etc.), the tools (the tool box and the toll box options), the process.

I have started, woefully unfinished, a book GIMP. The PDF of it is free, take a look:
http://oneoffpressbooks.com/pages/gimp.htm any feedback on the book, would be welcome.

Walton

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [Gimp-user] Am I stupid or What? From: "Nick C."
Date: Mon, August 30, 2010 2:50 pm
To: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

I've only been using computers for about 25 years, and gimping along with Gimp
for about 6 months, so why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered. It's driving
me nuts. I can't seem to do ANYTHING without Youtube or Forum help. Maybe I
should just head to the iceflow with my last pile of firewood...sigh.

Stefan Maerz
2010-08-31 01:59:35 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

I've only been using computers for about 25 years, and gimping along with Gimp
for about 6 months, so why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered.

I found gimp to be a really intuitive program. After a tutorial or two I found that I was able to start manipulating things on my own. That being said, sometimes I found it difficult, for some unexplained reason.

My advise would be to just keep chuggin away at it. Gimp does have a steep learning curve, however once you get atop it is really smooth sailing.

BTW, I stopped doing tutorials altogether after 2 or 3. I am not really patient enough to do them, so I started experimenting on my own. Over time my proficiency has increased as I figure things out.

I'm not going to necessarily advise you to use other software, but from experience Photo Shop and Paint shop Pro have a similar interface as gimp in terms of complexity. You might try out something like paint.net, as it is simpler, however I think it is strictly for windows.

Stefan Maerz

Noel Stoutenburg
2010-08-31 07:47:00 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

Nick C. wrote:

why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered.

My history is similar to yours, except that I've got more experience with GIMP than you claim. I, too, found the UI to be complex, and difficult to use and understand. What made the program much more useful for me was getting a copy of Akkana Peck's book, Beginning Gimp / From Novice to Professional, published by APress. About USD 50, but if you're serious about learning GIMP, it's hard to think of a better way to spend the money.

ns

Vincent Ardern
2010-08-31 08:07:51 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

Nick C. wrote:

why do I have to get help every time I try to do something in this program? It seems to me that it is one of the most unfriendly and unintuitive command layouts I've ever encountered.

I first learnt how to Photoshop when it was taught in my school (for a web design course) a few years ago. After using PS, GIMP was really easy to get used to. However, for anyone who wasn't proficient with PS prior to using GIMP, I imagine it would be a steep learning curve. On the other hand, most people can not just pick up Photoshop quickly either (to an acceptable standard). Overall, I think GIMP is on par with, if not easier to learn than other image editing software.

Regards, Vincent

Ofnuts
2010-08-31 08:42:36 UTC (almost 14 years ago)

Am I stupid or What?

On 30/08/2010 23:50, Nick C. wrote:

There are two ways Gimp (or any program wit equivalent functionality) can be difficult to get proficient with:

- the basic principles: layers, selections, masks, channels... unless someone comes up with novel ideas about mlage processing architecture, Gimp (and others including PS) is stuck with it.

- how tools are accessed (tools or filter, menu hierarchy...). There is a modicum of arbitrary choices here. The current setup is the result of a slow evolution maybe not the best for anyone, but the worst for noone.

This said, Gimp is more like a toolbox. It contains lots of tools, but no plans for a rocket.
--
Bertrand