RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Ismael Valladolid Torres 06 Mar 11:14
  Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Sven Neumann 06 Mar 12:43
   Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Ken Warner 06 Mar 13:21
    Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Sven Neumann 06 Mar 13:27
     Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Ken Warner 06 Mar 17:45
      Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Sven Neumann 06 Mar 17:48
       Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Ken Warner 06 Mar 18:15
a6ac48e0903061004q50634fb5r... 07 Oct 20:19
  Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Ismael Valladolid Torres 06 Mar 21:06
   Can't find script-fu menu in GIMP 2.6 for Windows Sven Neumann 06 Mar 23:42
Ismael Valladolid Torres
2009-03-06 11:14:51 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Just installed GIMP 2.6.5 for Windows. As usual after installing any GIMP version in any system, I tried to recover a script-fu I programmed months ago. I simply unzipped it into %HOME%\.gimp-2.6\scripts and restarted the GIMP. I open an image and try to apply the script, and I notice there no longer is a script-fu menu anywhere.

Under Filters I see a Script-Fu submenu with the options Console, Start server and Refresh scripts. My script doesn't appear under any of the Filters submenus. If I start the console and look for the main function defined in my script, she's there. But it appears as a "temporal procedure" (?)

What I find amazing is that none of the scripts stored in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts appear anywhere either. Checked paths to scripts in program preferences and they're ok.

For me being able to use my script to edit my pictures before getting into Flickr is a must. Rolling back to 2.4 is posible for me but I liked the idea of being able to test new features.

Any ideas welcome, TIA.

Cordially, Ismael

Sven Neumann
2009-03-06 12:43:38 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:14 +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

Just installed GIMP 2.6.5 for Windows. As usual after installing any GIMP version in any system, I tried to recover a script-fu I programmed months ago. I simply unzipped it into %HOME%\.gimp-2.6\scripts and restarted the GIMP. I open an image and try to apply the script, and I notice there no longer is a script-fu menu anywhere.

Under Filters I see a Script-Fu submenu with the options Console, Start server and Refresh scripts. My script doesn't appear under any of the Filters submenus. If I start the console and look for the main function defined in my script, she's there. But it appears as a "temporal procedure" (?)

What I find amazing is that none of the scripts stored in C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\scripts appear anywhere either. Checked paths to scripts in program preferences and they're ok.

We dropped the Script-Fu menu completely as the user should not have to care about the programming language a particular function is implemented in. All scripts have been merged into the menus where they fit from a functionality point of view. Scripts that still try to register in the old Script-Fu menu are automatically redirected to the Filters menu. You can use the Plug-In Browser from the Help menu to locate them.

Sven

Ken Warner
2009-03-06 13:21:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sven,

I have only 6 scripts that appear under the Script-Fu menu in GIMP 2.6.4 -- but I use those scripts alot. I installed them by manually putting them in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.gimp-2.6

Tell me exactly how I would install those scripts in 2.6.5 and beyond and where would they appear in the menu?

I can give you more info about those scripts if you need it.

Ken

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 11:14 +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

We dropped the Script-Fu menu completely as the user should not have to care about the programming language a particular function is implemented in. All scripts have been merged into the menus where they fit from a functionality point of view. Scripts that still try to register in the old Script-Fu menu are automatically redirected to the Filters menu. You can use the Plug-In Browser from the Help menu to locate them.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2009-03-06 13:27:16 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 04:21 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

I have only 6 scripts that appear under the Script-Fu menu in GIMP 2.6.4 -- but I use those scripts alot. I installed them by manually putting them in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.gimp-2.6

That can hardly work. You need to put them into the scripts folder in that directory.

Tell me exactly how I would install those scripts in 2.6.5 and beyond and where would they appear in the menu?

That works exactly as in 2.6.4.

Sven

Ken Warner
2009-03-06 17:45:12 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

That can hardly work. You need to put them into the scripts folder in that directory.

Yes, of course. Scripts in the scripts folder -- plugins in the plugin folder. I didn't think I had to be that explicit with you...

That works exactly as in 2.6.4.

So if/when I upgrade GIMP to some future 2.6 release, those scripts and plugins will be found just as they are now with 2.6.4?

Sven Neumann
2009-03-06 17:48:20 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 08:45 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

So if/when I upgrade GIMP to some future 2.6 release, those scripts and plugins will be found just as they are now with 2.6.4?

Of course. Why do you ask this? Perhaps it is not clear to you that all 2.6 releases are just bug-fix releases. There are no new features being added. There are basically no changes at all, except for bug-fixes.

Sven

Ken Warner
2009-03-06 18:15:12 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Thank you for your reply. That's good to know.

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 08:45 -0800, Ken Warner wrote:

Of course. Why do you ask this? Perhaps it is not clear to you that all 2.6 releases are just bug-fix releases. There are no new features being added. There are basically no changes at all, except for bug-fixes.

Sven

Ismael Valladolid Torres
2009-03-06 21:06:13 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

It's a nice idea, but why if I used to register the script under the "Alchemy" menu, it appears now under "Artistic"¿?

Cordially, Ismael --
Ismael Valladolid Torres      http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/          http://www.seomarketingtools.org/                              http://www.linuxav.net/ t. 0034912519850
m. 0034609884094 (Yoigo)      GnuPG key: DE721AF4

Google Talk/Jabber/MSN Messenger: ivalladt@gmail.com      Jaiku/Twitter/Skype/Yahoo!: ivalladt                         AIM/ICQ: 264472328

Sven Neumann
2009-03-06 23:42:46 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 21:06 +0100, Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

It's a nice idea, but why if I used to register the script under the "Alchemy" menu, it appears now under "Artistic"¿?

Because most items from the "Alchemy" menu have been moved to the "Artistic" menu. If I remember correctly we have discussed the new menus extensively on the gimp-developer list. So if you are interested, feel free to look this up in the archives.

About your script, please consider to adapt the position where it registers to the new menu layout.

Sven