RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 peter kostov 15 Dec 19:05
  normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 David Gowers 16 Dec 04:44
  normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 Doug 16 Dec 11:12
   normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 peter kostov 16 Dec 12:38
    normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 David Gowers 16 Dec 13:06
     normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 peter kostov 16 Dec 13:50
      normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 Daniel Hornung 16 Dec 13:56
      normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 Doug 16 Dec 16:21
       normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 peter kostov 16 Dec 17:19
  normalmap and resynthesizer plug-ins and gimp 2.6 Sven Neumann 17 Dec 00:12
peter kostov
2008-12-15 19:05:14 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

does anybody know if the normalmap and the resynthesizer plug-ins do work with GIMP 2.6?

I am on Gentoo and currently have two different versions of GIMP - 2.4 installed system wide and 2.6 installed only for me. I use 2.4 when I need these plug-ins and 2.6 for everything else. Currently if I try to use these and other plug-ins (I am not speaking of these that came with the GIMP itself) with GIMP 2.6 I am getting an error message like this:

gimp_plug_in_handle_proc_run: ERROR

Could not execute plug-in "normalmap" (/home/peter/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/normalmap) because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol.

Greetings, Peter Kostov

David Gowers
2008-12-16 04:44:35 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:35 AM, peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

does anybody know if the normalmap and the resynthesizer plug-ins do work with GIMP 2.6?

I am on Gentoo and currently have two different versions of GIMP - 2.4 installed system wide and 2.6 installed only for me. I use 2.4 when I need these plug-ins and 2.6 for everything else. Currently if I try to use these and other plug-ins (I am not speaking of these that came with the GIMP itself) with GIMP 2.6 I am getting an error message like this:

Could not execute plug-in "normalmap" (/home/peter/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/normalmap) because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol.

I use resynthesizer with GIMP 2.6 fine. Haven't heard of normalmap.

Anyway, this error is saying that your plugin is compiled against a version of gimp that's too old. So recompile it.

David

Doug
2008-12-16 11:12:35 UTC (over 15 years ago)

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,
I have resynthesizer working on 2.6.3.

Doug

peter kostov
2008-12-16 12:38:00 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,

Doug

That's good!

I know I have to recompile them, but I don't know how to recompile them against a specific version of GIMP, not the system wide installed. And that is why I decided to ask you, before I upgrade my GIMP system wide.

Thanks for your time!

Peter

David Gowers
2008-12-16 13:06:16 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:08 PM, peter kostov wrote:

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,

Doug

That's good!

I know I have to recompile them, but I don't know how to recompile them against a specific version of GIMP, not the system wide installed. And that is why I decided to ask you, before I upgrade my GIMP system wide.

Well, if you use the gimptool belonging to your 2.6 GIMP to compile the plugin, rather than the systemwide gimptool, that should be effective.

David

peter kostov
2008-12-16 13:50:32 UTC (over 15 years ago)

David Gowers wrote:

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,

Doug

That's good!

Well, if you use the gimptool belonging to your 2.6 GIMP to compile the plugin, rather than the systemwide gimptool, that should be effective.

David

Hm, thanks David, but it isn't so easy, because the package uses pkg-config too. So I tried to alter the Makefile by defining the path to the new gimptool and adding
--define-variable=prefix=/home/peter/install/gimp to the pkg-config command to tell it where to search for libraries, but then the make failed with LOTS of errors like this: /home/peter/install/gimp/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpcolor/gimpcolorspace.h:76: error: expected ')' before '*' token

Greetings, Peter

Daniel Hornung
2008-12-16 13:56:28 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, peter kostov wrote:

Hm, thanks David, but it isn't so easy, because the package uses pkg-config too.

Try setting your PKG_CONFIG_PATH before configuring the plugins.

Greetings, Daniel

Doug
2008-12-16 16:21:03 UTC (over 15 years ago)

peter kostov wrote:

David Gowers wrote:

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

I am on Gentoo and currently have two different versions of GIMP - 2.4
installed system wide and 2.6 installed only for me. I use 2.4 when I need these plug-ins and 2.6 for everything else. Currently if I try to use these and other plug-ins (I am not speaking of these that came with the GIMP itself) with GIMP 2.6 I am getting an
error message like this:

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,

Doug

That's good!

David

Hm, thanks David, but it isn't so easy, because the package uses pkg-config too. So I tried to alter the Makefile by defining the path to the new gimptool and adding
--define-variable=prefix=/home/peter/install/gimp to the pkg-config command to tell it where to search for libraries, but then the make failed with LOTS of errors like this: /home/peter/install/gimp/include/gimp-2.0/libgimpcolor/gimpcolorspace.h:76: error: expected ')' before '*' token

Greetings, Peter

I don't know if this will help in your case; but in general I find it better not to mess around with the Makefile and try to get round this sort of problem by setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH. For example, PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkconfig (or wherever's appropriate, instead of the system-wide /usr/lib/pkconfig) ; export PKG_CONFIG_PATH; ./configure; make; make install

HTH Doug

peter kostov
2008-12-16 17:19:37 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

David Gowers wrote:

Doug wrote:

peter kostov wrote:

Hi,

I am on Gentoo and currently have two different versions of GIMP - 2.4
installed system wide and 2.6 installed only for me. I use 2.4 when I need these plug-ins and 2.6 for everything else. Currently if I try to use these and other plug-ins (I am not speaking of these that came with the GIMP itself) with GIMP 2.6 I am getting an
error message like this:

Greetings, Peter Kostov

_

Hi,

Doug

That's good!

David

Greetings, Peter

I don't know if this will help in your case; but in general I find it better not to mess around with the Makefile and try to get round this sort of problem by setting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH. For example, PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkconfig (or wherever's appropriate, instead of the system-wide /usr/lib/pkconfig) ; export PKG_CONFIG_PATH; ./configure; make; make install

HTH Doug

Yes Doug, this is a better approach indeed. But it didn't help me. Even so the compiled plug-in doesn't work with the same errors as above (about the old protocol). In my case there isn't a configure step. I am digging into this further.

Thanks again, Peter

Sven Neumann
2008-12-17 00:12:48 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 20:05 +0200, peter kostov wrote:

GIMP provides backward compatibility for plug-ins. Any dynamically linked plug-in compiled for an older version of GIMP will continue to work without the need to recompile it.

This means that your plug-in is either linked statically or that it is picking up the wrong libgimp library (the one for GIMP 2.4).

Sven