RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"gimp-text-fontname" and "gimp-text-get-extents-fontname" for the PDB

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

200710080927.16086.heese@ci... Marcus Heese 08 Oct 09:27
  "gimp-text-fontname" and "gimp-text-get-extents-fontname" for the PDB Sven Neumann 08 Oct 18:57
   "gimp-text-fontname" and "g imp-text-get-extents-fontname" for the PDB Marcus Heese 09 Oct 18:50
    "gimp-text-fontname" and "gimp-text-get-extents-fontname" for the PDB Sven Neumann 09 Oct 20:09
Sven Neumann
2007-10-08 18:57:07 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 09:27 +0200, Marcus Heese wrote:

I've written a small patch based on the gimp-2.4.0-rc2 sources which implements a new gimp-text-fontname and gimp-text-get-extents-fontname function for the PDB. In fact, I wrote this because I needed the possibilities of adjusting letter/line spacing and indentation as well as the possibilities of directly getting access to hinting and auto-hinting in my gimp-ruby-scripts.

As I'm totally new to gimp development I don't really know if this was the right place to implement, so I just wrote two new functions "gimp-text-fontname-new" and "gimp-text-get-extents-fontname-new" and put them just in the same files where I found the other old equivalent functions. I hope my C knowledge wasn't that bad, but as gimp sources were really well arranged, it didn't take me too long to get used to the syntax.

Unfortunately it seems that you missed the comment at the top of the file you edited. It informs you that this file is generated code. You could have saved yourself a lot of work by editing the corresponding .pdb file instead.

We are in need for an updated text-tool PDB API but I would really like to get it right this time instead of adding more kludges. There's a bug report for this and it would be very nice if we could get some help with it. Perhaps then we can get such an API for GIMP 2.6:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164539

Sven

Marcus Heese
2007-10-09 18:50:08 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

"gimp-text-fontname" and "g imp-text-get-extents-fontname" for the PDB

On Monday 08 October 2007 18:57:07 Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 09:27 +0200, Marcus Heese wrote:

I've written a small patch based on the gimp-2.4.0-rc2 sources which implements a new gimp-text-fontname and gimp-text-get-extents-fontname function for the PDB. In fact, I wrote this because I needed the possibilities of adjusting letter/line spacing and indentation as well as the possibilities of directly getting access to hinting and auto-hinting in my gimp-ruby-scripts.

As I'm totally new to gimp development I don't really know if this was the right place to implement, so I just wrote two new functions "gimp-text-fontname-new" and "gimp-text-get-extents-fontname-new" and put them just in the same files where I found the other old equivalent functions. I hope my C knowledge wasn't that bad, but as gimp sources were really well arranged, it didn't take me too long to get used to the syntax.

Unfortunately it seems that you missed the comment at the top of the file you edited. It informs you that this file is generated code. You could have saved yourself a lot of work by editing the corresponding .pdb file instead.

Unfortunately it seems that you must be right :) ... Though it was not that much work and for me it's working.

We are in need for an updated text-tool PDB API but I would really like to get it right this time instead of adding more kludges. There's a bug report for this and it would be very nice if we could get some help with it. Perhaps then we can get such an API for GIMP 2.6:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=164539

Alright I see... I would like to help for GIMP 2.6 to get a real good implementation of the text-tool PDB API. So I declare myself a volunteer for this task.

However, is there a possibility to "add" another kludge to GIMP 2.4.x? My scripts won't work without a possibility of letter spacing and I don't like the idea of compiling always a new GIMP 2.4.x version with each update on every machine the scripts should work...

regards Marcus

Sven Neumann
2007-10-09 20:09:47 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 18:50 +0200, Marcus Heese wrote:

Alright I see... I would like to help for GIMP 2.6 to get a real good implementation of the text-tool PDB API. So I declare myself a volunteer for this task.

Yery nice. Please remember to bring up this issue again when 2.4 is out so that we can discuss how to improve the API.

However, is there a possibility to "add" another kludge to GIMP 2.4.x?

Sorry, but it is too late for such API additions now. GIMP 2.4 is going to be released any day now and the API is frozen.

Sven