RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

various clicks in a layer row of the layers dialog

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

various clicks in a layer row of the layers dialog Olivier 03 Jul 17:38
  various clicks in a layer row of the layers dialog Marco Ciampa 04 Jul 14:47
   various clicks in a layer row of the layers dialog Olivier 04 Jul 15:21
    various clicks in a layer row of the layers dialog Marco Ciampa 04 Jul 17:58
Olivier
2010-07-03 17:38:40 UTC (about 14 years ago)

In the present situation of GIMP, a layer row in the Layers dialog may be the target of a lot of different clicks: simple click in the visibility eye or link symbol, double click in the name, and now Alt-click in the layer thumbnail, which can also be combined with Shift and Ctrl to give Alt-Shift-click, Alt-Ctrl-click, and even Alt-Ctrl-Shift-click. Moreover, if there is a layer mask, clicking the layer thumbnail becomes meaningful, as well as click, Ctrl-click, and Alt-click in the layer mask thumbnail. A total of eleven different clicks, if I'm not forgetting some.

All these are certainly useful. However, there is no mechanism for revealing them to users, and no other way to do the same thing. Thus many users, not reading the user manual or the good books, can very well be unaware of all these possibilities, and maybe they are using complicated and poor solutions to do some actions that are in fact very simple.

Would it be interesting and useful to add some mechanism to correct this situation? There could be additional entries in the Layers dialog menu, or in the Image: Layer menu. There could be information messages displayed when the mouse pointer is hovering some parts of the layer row.

I could refine the idea, but unfortunately I'm not able to implement it.

Marco Ciampa
2010-07-04 14:47:23 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 05:38:40PM +0200, Olivier wrote:

Would it be interesting and useful to add some mechanism to correct this situation? There could be additional entries in the Layers dialog menu, or in the Image: Layer menu. There could be information messages displayed when the mouse pointer is hovering some parts of the layer row.

Indeed that is a _very_ good idea. Maybe it is better to file a bug report for it? Just to avoid to loose it in the dev mailing list...

Olivier
2010-07-04 15:21:08 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Marco Ciampa wrote:

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 05:38:40PM +0200, Olivier wrote:

Would it be interesting and useful to add some mechanism to correct this situation? There could be additional entries in the Layers dialog menu,

or

in the Image: Layer menu. There could be information messages displayed

when

the mouse pointer is hovering some parts of the layer row.

Indeed that is a _very_ good idea. Maybe it is better to file a bug report for it?
Just to avoid to loose it in the dev mailing list...

Maybe the idea should be more precise for filing a bug?

Marco Ciampa
2010-07-04 17:58:06 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 03:21:08PM +0200, Olivier wrote:

Maybe the idea should be more precise for filing a bug?

Ok, let say it in another (maybe clearer) way.

There is no way to know precisely how many shortcuts could apply to a specific window, panel or image window in a specific tool state.

Near the context help entry in the help menu I would see a (maybe Ctrl-F1?) command that could open a window (could be a useful dockable panel) list of current short cuts that could be applied in that specific context.

That could be a _great_ usability improvement and would help help manual writers/translators (like me) improving the GIMP manual too.

bye