RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to enhance low resolution graphic for larger modified image ???

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

helices
2010-01-26 20:49:22 UTC (over 14 years ago)

I have a simple JPG (108x170 pixels) that I want to use in a larger, higher resolution image that I'm creating. It is a fairly simple black and white drawing -- actually, a light bulb with several curves and angles and straight lines.

Yes, I have expanded it to 1000x1575 pixels. Yes, I've zoomed to 800x, selected non-black pixels and deleted them.

What I have now is almost tolerable; but, I'd like to know alternatives, preferably the simplest, most straight forward method to clean up the jagged edges that are visible.

I will not use it at 1000x1575; but, I need it considerably more detailed than 108x170.

Please, comment and advise.

Best Regards,

Mike

Jay Smith
2010-01-26 20:55:08 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On 01/26/2010 02:49 PM, helices wrote:

I have a simple JPG (108x170 pixels) that I want to use in a larger, higher resolution image that I'm creating. It is a fairly simple black and white drawing -- actually, a light bulb with several curves and angles and straight lines.

Yes, I have expanded it to 1000x1575 pixels. Yes, I've zoomed to 800x, selected non-black pixels and deleted them.

What I have now is almost tolerable; but, I'd like to know alternatives, preferably the simplest, most straight forward method to clean up the jagged edges that are visible.

I will not use it at 1000x1575; but, I need it considerably more detailed than 108x170.

Please, comment and advise.

Best Regards,

Mike

This may be missing the point somehow, but if you used some kind of "outlining" program (followed by a little editing) that creates a vector-based (instead of bitmap based) image, you could then scale to whatever size you want with perfect resolution, and then convert that size to a bitmap format like JPG. If you save the vector version, you can scale-and-save-out to as many sizes as you like.

Back in the day I used Adobe Streamline for this kind of task, but I don't know if that even still exists any more.

Jay

Chris Mohler
2010-01-26 21:33:51 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Jay Smith wrote:

On 01/26/2010 02:49 PM, helices wrote:

I have a simple JPG (108x170 pixels) that I want to use in a larger, higher resolution image that I'm creating.  It is a fairly simple black and white drawing -- actually, a light bulb with several curves and angles and straight lines.

This may be missing the point somehow, but if you used some kind of "outlining" program (followed by a little editing) that creates a vector-based (instead of bitmap based) image, you could then scale to whatever size you want with perfect resolution, and then convert that size to a bitmap format like JPG.  If you save the vector version, you can scale-and-save-out to as many sizes as you like.

I would open Inkscape, import the graphic, then either do a trace or redraw it. Then delete the image, save as SVG, open in GIMP at desired size.

Back in the day I used Adobe Streamline for this kind of task, but I don't know if that even still exists any more.

Streamline was for OS 8-9 IIRC, and never got ported to OSX. I use inkscape to do tracing - it works better than the auto-trace feature in Adobe's products anyway (especially on blank-and-white images).

Chris

Akkana Peck
2010-01-27 04:27:31 UTC (over 14 years ago)

helices writes:

Try this:

- Select by color and click on one of the lines.

- Selection to Path.

- Select None.

- Scale the image up to the desired size.

- Path to selection.

- Fill the selection with black.

It doesn't work for everything, but for a line drawing or solid colored block figure, sometimes you can get amazingly smooth edges that way.

...Akkana