RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

minimize the main toolbox?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

minimize the main toolbox? Ryan Krauss 24 Nov 14:42
  minimize the main toolbox? Olivier Lecarme 24 Nov 17:29
   minimize the main toolbox? Ryan Krauss 24 Nov 17:33
   minimize the main toolbox? Martijn Weisbeek 24 Nov 18:29
    minimize the main toolbox? Ryan Krauss 24 Nov 22:41
     minimize the main toolbox? Sven Neumann 24 Nov 22:53
Ryan Krauss
2009-11-24 14:42:57 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Is it possible to either minimize the toolbox or have an image window in front of the toolbox. I am using the GIMP as a digital whiteboard with a digitizing tablet (Wacom Bamboo) for my lectures. I would like to write on an image that fills as much of the screen as possible and would like the toolbox to be either behind the current image or minimized. It is not obvious to me how to make it not be on top.

Thanks,

Ryan

Olivier Lecarme
2009-11-24 17:29:28 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Use the TAB key, which toggles visibility of the toolbox and other dockable dialogs. And use F11 to fill the screen with the image window. You can even remove the menu bar, scrolling bars, and status bar, and have an image which really fills the screen.

Ryan Krauss
2009-11-24 17:33:29 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Thanks. I got several responses - but they are sent to me and not the list. I never knew the key toggled the visibility of the toolbox.

Thanks!

Ryan

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Olivier Lecarme wrote:

Use the TAB key, which toggles visibility of the toolbox and other dockable dialogs. And use F11 to fill the screen with the image window. You can even remove the menu bar, scrolling bars, and status bar, and have an image which really fills the screen.

--

Olivier Lecarme

Martijn Weisbeek
2009-11-24 18:29:08 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Olivier,

Those are some nifty shortcut keys. That might also explain why sometimes I have "lost" my toolbox.
I guess that this has happened after I used the tab key for some action within GIMP.
Then I might have meant ALT+TAB (to switch windows) instead, but forgot to press ALT and my toolbox is gone...

Do you know whether there is a list of these key combinations online somewhere ? I would expect these to be in the GIMP's user manual, but I cannot seem to find them.
http://docs.gimp.org/en/key-reference.html is as close as I could find. However, it would be nice when there would be one pages with all of these useful GIMP commands.

Thanks in advance,

Martijn http://gimp.startpagina.nl

Ryan Krauss
2009-11-24 22:41:29 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Ironically, I think I have accidentally hidden the toolbox trying to alt-tab as well. If I knew what I did, I would have stumbled onto the answer to my own question...

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Martijn Weisbeek wrote:

Olivier,

Those are some nifty shortcut keys. That might also explain why sometimes I have "lost" my toolbox.
I guess that this has happened after I used the tab key for some action within GIMP.
Then I might have meant ALT+TAB (to switch windows) instead, but forgot to press ALT and my toolbox is gone...

Do you know whether there is a list of these key combinations online somewhere ? I would expect these to be in the GIMP's user manual, but I cannot seem to find them.
http://docs.gimp.org/en/key-reference.html is as close as I could find. However, it would be nice when there would be one pages with all of these useful GIMP commands.

Thanks in advance,

Martijn http://gimp.startpagina.nl

Sven Neumann
2009-11-24 22:53:42 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Hi,

there are a lot of useful hints in the "Tips of the Day" dialog, hidden in the Help menu. Perhaps you guys want to enable the "Tips of the Day" feature and learn some more nice things about GIMP. One of the tips would have been this one:

If your screen is too cluttered, you can press Tab in an image window to toggle the visibility of the toolbox and other dialogs.

Sven