RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to select whole layer and only layer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to select whole layer and only layer Adam Majewski 18 Oct 22:37
  How to select whole layer and only layer David Gowers 20 Oct 00:59
   How to select whole layer and only layer Adam Majewski 20 Oct 02:10
    How to select whole layer and only layer David Gowers 20 Oct 07:01
     How to select whole layer and only layer photocomix 20 Oct 14:02
How to select whole layer and only layer Ilya Zakharevich 21 Oct 02:58
Adam Majewski
2009-10-18 22:37:49 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Hi there!

I would like to know how to make selection for whole layer and only area of layer.
(should it be named "layer to selection"?)

I know that this can be done with rectangle selection, and with use of zoom this will give correct effect, but it will take some (too much imho) time for this operation.

It is not so simply to pres ctrl+a, but it should be in my opinion.
After select region of layer i would like to make shrink, border or other things of this selection.

The process and effect i have now:

background is 1024x768 layer_1 is 100x100 in 1/3 in width and height selecting layer_1 from layers
ctrl+a
shrink selection by 3 px
if 'shrink selection from image border' is selected then i see effect, but it is from image border, not layer border else i don't see any effect of shrink

How to do it simple, easy and fast to select area of layer? Without need of zooming for rectangle selection for small layers...

Kind regards!

Pozdrawiam, Adam.

David Gowers
2009-10-20 00:59:26 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM, Adam Majewski wrote:

Hi there!

I would like to know how to make selection for whole layer  and only area of layer.

It is, in fact, named 'alpha to selection', in the layers dialog. (or in the layers->transparency menu)

Adam Majewski
2009-10-20 02:10:52 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

Dnia Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:29:26 +1030 David Gowers napisa?(a):

I would like to know how to make selection for whole layer  and only area of layer.

It is, in fact, named 'alpha to selection', in the layers dialog. (or in the layers->transparency menu)

almost...
if i have transparency somewhere on layer then i need to make additional selection.
(color selection clicked on transparency area with shift(add))

Thanks for answer, kind regards!

Pozdrawiam,
Adam.

David Gowers
2009-10-20 07:01:42 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Adam Majewski wrote:

Dnia Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:29:26 +1030 David Gowers napisa?(a):

almost...
 if i have transparency somewhere on layer then i need to make  additional selection.

It's possible to script this.
Basically, you can just
1. call gimp-drawable-offsets to find the top-left corner of the active layer 2. call gimp-drawable-height and gimp-drawable-width to get the size of the layer
3. call gimp-rect-select using the bounds you just retrieved.

The procedure browser found in the help menu can help explain how these work. Once you've written the script and registered the function in the appropriate place, you can give it a keyboard shortcut using the keyboard shortcut editor.

2009-10-20 14:02:59 UTC (almost 15 years ago)
postings

This question show also why Select/All may be confusing ; the meaning of "All" seems a quiz:

What the heck Select/All will select ?

1) "all" inside the current layer boundary 2) "all" inside image boundary
3) "all" inside canvas boundary

as guess 1) looks good as the others ,even more probable, but will be a wrong answer

Maybe adding another option as "Select/All in active layer" would help to make concept clear and be of some practical utility

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Adam Majewski wrote:

Dnia Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:29:26 +1030 David Gowers napisal(a):

I would like to know how to make selection for whole layer and only area of layer.

almost...
if i have transparency somewhere on layer then i need to make additional selection.

It's possible to script this.
Basically, you can just
1. call gimp-drawable-offsets to find the top-left corner of the active

layer

2. call gimp-drawable-height and gimp-drawable-width to get the size of the layer
3. call gimp-rect-select using the bounds you just retrieved.

The procedure browser found in the help menu can help explain how these

work.

Once you've written the script and registered the function in the appropriate place, you can give it a keyboard shortcut using the keyboard shortcut editor.

Ilya Zakharevich
2009-10-21 02:58:39 UTC (almost 15 years ago)

On 2009-10-18, Adam Majewski wrote:

Google for layer-select.scm and put it into your ~/.gimp/scripts (sp?) directory.

Hope this helps,
Ilya