RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Black line around transparent GIF

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Black line around transparent GIF ArtisanTony 30 Jun 22:51
  Black line around transparent GIF Jay Smith 30 Jun 23:02
  Black line around transparent GIF saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 01 Jul 00:28
  Black line around transparent GIF ArtisanTony 01 Jul 00:37
   Black line around transparent GIF Noel Stoutenburg 01 Jul 02:52
2009-06-30 22:51:42 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

I am working in GIMP 2.6

I am able to create a transparent gif but when viewing the gif file a black line shows up around the perimeter of the gif which defeats the purpose of having it transparent in the first place.

The line shows up around the boundry fo the gif file no matter what canvas size i make it.

I am sure this is a noob problem and any help will be appreciated.

Jay Smith
2009-06-30 23:02:59 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On 06/30/2009 04:51 PM, Tony wrote:

I am working in GIMP 2.6

I am able to create a transparent gif but when viewing the gif file a black line shows up around the perimeter of the gif which defeats the purpose of having it transparent in the first place.

The line shows up around the boundry fo the gif file no matter what canvas size i make it.

I am sure this is a noob problem and any help will be appreciated.

Tony,

You said "when viewing", but you did not say WHERE / IN WHAT PROGRAM you are viewing it.

If you are placing this transparent GIF in a web (HTML) page, then the problem may be that the process of creating the HTML IMAGE tag is setting the (in HTML) image border to be on by default. One of the HTML authoring programs has the annoying habit of doing that by default. Set the border to be off (0) or remove the border information entirely and you should be okay (if this is the problem).

Also, if your web page is using a CSS file to provide styling, it could be putting a border on all images, thus you would have to change the CSS related information on the image tag.

Jay

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2009-07-01 00:28:10 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Quoting Tony :

How are you viewing the GIF? Does the outline appear when you use GIMP's "Filters->Animation->Playback"?

2009-07-01 00:37:55 UTC (about 15 years ago)
postings

I forgot to mention I was trying to embed the gif file in a video using Windows Movie Maker.

Noel Stoutenburg
2009-07-01 02:52:56 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Tony wrote:

I forgot to mention I was trying to embed the gif file in a video using Windows Movie Maker.

So, are you sure this is an issue with GIMP, and not Movie Maker? What happens if you try to embed a different GIF file?

ns