RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How do I get a smooth diagonal line

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How do I get a smooth diagonal line DJ 16 Jun 00:18
  How do I get a smooth diagonal line David Gowers 16 Jun 00:32
   How do I get a smooth diagonal line DJ 16 Jun 00:57
    How do I get a smooth diagonal line David Gowers 16 Jun 01:06
DJ
2009-06-16 00:18:20 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Hi Gimp-user,

See the plain-old wooden fence at the top of this page. http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/encyc_linetypes.html Simply, right :-) I wanted practice drawing lines, shapes, and coloring them.

I created the vertical and horizontal with the Rectangle Select Tool and Select > Stroke Selection, Paint Tool set to Pencil Circle (01), Scale set to 2.

To create the diagonal I still used the Rectangle Select Tool, then Rotate Tool, then Select > Stroke Selection. But the line is very jagged, and it looks different than the horizontal and vertical.

I tried just using the Pencil, then the Paint brush (holding the Shift key to get a straight line). I changed to a fuzzy brush.

How does one get a smooth diagonal line, like the one in the picture.

Thank you.

David Gowers
2009-06-16 00:32:06 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Are you looking for click, move to line end, shift-click??

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM, DJ wrote:

Hi Gimp-user,

See the plain-old wooden fence at the top of this page. http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/encyc_linetypes.html Simply, right :-)  I wanted practice drawing lines, shapes, and coloring them.

I created the vertical and horizontal with the Rectangle Select Tool and Select > Stroke Selection, Paint Tool set to Pencil Circle (01), Scale set to 2.

To create the diagonal I still used the Rectangle Select Tool, then Rotate Tool, then Select > Stroke Selection. But the line is very jagged, and it looks different than the horizontal and vertical.

I tried just using the Pencil, then the Paint brush (holding the Shift key to get a straight line). I changed to a fuzzy brush.

Thank you.

-- __________________________
DJ

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

DJ
2009-06-16 00:57:58 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Hi David, gimp-users,

I can draw, or a better way to say it, I can create a line or selection for that matter -- the marching ants. I can technically create a line with the Pencil and Paint Brush.

But, I can't make it look nice. I can't get the diagonal to look like the picture, so it just looks like another board. I can very clearly see the steps of the diagonal. If I enlarge the image the diagonal line looks similar to (assumes fixed font email):

^^^^^ ^^^^^
^^^^^

Thank you.
DJ

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 7:48 AM, DJ wrote:

Hi Gimp-user,

See the plain-old wooden fence at the top of this page. http://www.artsconnected.org/toolkit/encyc_linetypes.html Simply, right :-)  I wanted practice drawing lines, shapes, and coloring them.

Thank you.

-- __________________________
DJ

David Gowers
2009-06-16 01:06:26 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM, DJ wrote:

Hi David, gimp-users,

I can draw, or a better way to say it, I can create a line or selection for that matter -- the marching ants. I can technically create a line with the Pencil and Paint Brush.

But, I can't make it look nice. I can't get the diagonal to look like the picture, so it just looks like another board. I can very clearly see the steps of the diagonal. If I enlarge the image the diagonal line looks similar to (assumes fixed font email):

^^^^^      ^^^^^
         ^^^^^

Even with paintbrush? (pencil tool does no 'smoothing', whereas most other tools do by default)

If that is the case, it's possible your image is in INDEXED mode. Check the Image->Mode menu and convert it to RGB before trying again, if that is the case

David