RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fading to transparency tutorial?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fading to transparency tutorial? schwim 02 Mar 15:56
  Fading to transparency tutorial? Claus Cyrny 02 Mar 20:33
   Fading to transparency tutorial? Michaela Baulderstone 08 Mar 01:15
  Fading to transparency tutorial? schwim 03 Mar 15:54
2009-03-02 15:56:06 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Hi there everyone,

Quite a while ago, I used a tutorial on GUG for fading an image to transparency, which I wanted to use as the top of a web page background. For clarification, you can look here at the image:

http://personal.schwim.net/images/share/snowflake_background.jpg

I'm trying to do the same thing now, but with grass to green. The problem I'm having is that I can't remember how I did it and GUG went the way of the spam farm :)

I remember it was two layers, one with transforming black to transparent at the midline, using gaussian(I think) blur to soften the line of transormation and then overlaying, but I can't remember the details enough to reproduce it.

Does someone know of an alternate location for the tutorial that I need or maybe more detailed instructions leading to the same end?

Thanks a bunch for any light you can shed.

thanks, json

Claus Cyrny
2009-03-02 20:33:37 UTC (over 15 years ago)

json wrote:

Hi there everyone,

Quite a while ago, I used a tutorial on GUG for fading an image to transparency, which I wanted to use as the top of a web page background. For clarification, you can look here at the image:

I'm trying to do the same thing now, but with grass to green. The problem I'm having is that I can't remember how I did it and GUG went the way of the spam farm :)

I remember it was two layers, one with transforming black to transparent at the midline, using gaussian(I think) blur to soften the line of transormation and then overlaying, but I can't remember the details enough to reproduce it.

Does someone know of an alternate location for the tutorial that I need or maybe more detailed instructions leading to the same end?

Those are basically two layers: On the bottom layer there's the blue (in your case,
green) gradient, the snowflakes are on a transparent second layer. To achieve the
transitional effect, apply a black-to-white gradient as a layer mask to the snowflakes
layer ('Layers > Add Layer Mask', with the default setting; then apply the black-to-white
gradient to this layer, and as a third step, 'Apply Layer Mask'. Finally, merge the two
layers with 'Flatten Image' or CTRL+M (Merge Visible Layers). That's basically it.

HTH,

Claus

2009-03-03 15:54:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Thanks a bunch guys.

thanks, json

Michaela Baulderstone
2009-03-08 01:15:42 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I have been stuggling with this task for a while myself. When you clever ones nut it out, please publish a "Fade an Image to transparent" and "fade an image to white" tutorial "for complete idiots" (aka me) Thanks!

-----Original Message----- From: gimp-user-bounces@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU [mailto:gimp-user-bounces@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU] On Behalf Of Claus Cyrny Sent: Tuesday, 3 March 2009 6:04 AM
To: json
Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Fading to transparency tutorial?

json wrote:

Hi there everyone,

Quite a while ago, I used a tutorial on GUG for fading an image to transparency, which I wanted to use as the top of a web page background.

For

clarification, you can look here at the image:

I'm trying to do the same thing now, but with grass to green. The problem I'm having is that I can't remember how I did it and GUG went the way of

the

spam farm :)

I remember it was two layers, one with transforming black to transparent

at

the midline, using gaussian(I think) blur to soften the line of

transormation

and then overlaying, but I can't remember the details enough to reproduce

it.

Those are basically two layers: On the bottom layer there's the blue (in your case,
green) gradient, the snowflakes are on a transparent second layer. To achieve the
transitional effect, apply a black-to-white gradient as a layer mask to the snowflakes
layer ('Layers > Add Layer Mask', with the default setting; then apply the black-to-white
gradient to this layer, and as a third step, 'Apply Layer Mask'. Finally, merge the two
layers with 'Flatten Image' or CTRL+M (Merge Visible Layers). That's basically it.

HTH,

Claus