RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Jim Carlock 16 Jan 02:25
gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Jim Carlock 16 Jan 03:05
gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Jim Carlock 16 Jan 04:07
  gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Martin Nordholts 16 Jan 06:32
gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Jim Carlock 16 Jan 13:53
gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe win-gimp Jernej Simon?i? 16 Jan 14:19
Jim Carlock
2009-01-16 02:25:06 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I've run into a few problems with this version of GIMP.

I uninstalled all previous versions of GIMP. And I uninstalled gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe.

Then I reinstalled gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe and the problems STILL occur. I uninstalled GTK. Went through the whole uninstall/reinstall but the problems still occur.

After editing an image, I get a bunch of errors which indicate that there are various missing DLLs/EXEs.

I'm getting ready to UNINSTALL gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe again. And then do a REINSTALL.

I hope I do not need to send a prayer out to get things working. How come the new version of GIMP is so much smaller than the older versions?

gimp-2.6.4-i686-setup.exe 15,892,408 bytes gimp-2.4.6-i686-setup.exe 17,950,304 bytes

I downloaded the new version of GTK. Uninstalled the old version. And I'm lost at the moment on how to figure out how to get the new version to work. Is there a GIMP .ini file which tells GIMP where to locate GTK?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Carlock
2009-01-16 03:05:02 UTC (over 15 years ago)

"Jim Carlock" wrote...

The first time I run GIMP from the install it works great. But then when I close GIMP and the picture I've opened, I end up with the following error message when I double-click upon the image. In previous reinstalls, the error messages get worse as I continue to play along.

script-fu.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point g_format_size_for_display could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Something seems to go wrong for some reason. I'm not familiar enough GIMP to know what to do, but if anyone needs to know anything about registry keys, or such, I'm happy to look and provide such details and I'm happy to help work through this. I'm willing to learn and help others. Thank you for your time and help.

Jim Carlock
2009-01-16 04:07:54 UTC (over 15 years ago)

One last thing I'll add to this...

script-fu.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point g_format_size_for_display could not be located in the dynamic link library libglib-2.0-0.dll.

It appears script-fu.exe makes a function call to the DLL file listed above.

Now, when I dump the exports using a Microsoft LINK.EXE app, I notice that I have TWO different libglib-2.0-0.dll files. One of them I find in the Common Files folder with the new install of GTK, however those GTK files were NOT installed. They were just copied from one place to another. And last, the libglib-2.0-0.dll name does NOT exist in the registry.

So the script-fu.exe resides in a folder that does NOT have a libglib-2.0-0.dll. And GIMP does not know where to look for this particular file.

I would NOT like to put the gimp files in the PATH, so I wonder why GIMP when it first runs knows where it placed itself. But when you restart it it does not know how to obtain the path of the executable. Okay, thinking about this a little more, it's script-fu.exe that knows not where GIMP and the DLLs reside.

So looking through the registry, I find some keys that GIMP failed to clean up upon uninstalling...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gimp-2.6.exe HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gimp-win-remote.exe

And so I correct the path inside the first key, and delete the gimp-win-remote.exe key because that no longer exists in the new versions.

I probably need to run something to get the system to do a REGISTRY RELOAD. That's not a very proper term, but let me try this and see what occurs.

Oh, well... I'll give up on this for the night and hope I'll figure something out tomorrow.

Martin Nordholts
2009-01-16 06:32:55 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Jim Carlock wrote:

GIMP 2.6 comes with GTK+/GLib .dlls. If you have .dlls in a system wide directory such as C:\Windows\System32 these will however be picked up first. My guess is that you have GTK+/GLib .dlls in a system wide directory and GIMP does not end up using the GTK+/GLib DLLs it is supposed to.

- Martin

Jim Carlock
2009-01-16 13:53:18 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Jim Carlock wrote:

"Martin Nordholts" wrote...

GIMP 2.6 comes with GTK+/GLib .dlls. If you have .dlls in a system wide directory such as C:\Windows\System32 these will however be picked up first. My guess is that you have GTK+/GLib .dlls in a system wide directory and GIMP does not end up using the GTK+/GLib DLLs it is supposed to.

Thanks. I should have thought of that. It was too late last night though. I spent too much time on it, worked myself into a frustration and gave up. :-) I sent you an email, and CC'd it to Ken as well, who was offering some suggestions about some possible solutions. He suggested the "gimprc" file in the "etc\gimp\2.0" folder as a possible solution, but I went to your email first and you were correct, some lib*.dll's did exist in the "system32" folder.

Thanks, much.

Jernej Simon?i?
2009-01-16 14:19:25 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 22:07:54 -0500, Jim Carlock wrote:

So the script-fu.exe resides in a folder that does NOT have a libglib-2.0-0.dll. And GIMP does not know where to look for this particular file.

The installer tries to set up environment in such way that GIMP-2.0\bin directory is first in PATH when plugins and extensions are started (this is done through Registry and GIMP's global configuration files).

If you aren't using any other GTK+ application, uninstall GTK+ completely, and just let GIMP use GTK+ that ships with it.

So looking through the registry, I find some keys that GIMP failed to clean up upon uninstalling... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gimp-2.6.exe HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\gimp-win-remote.exe

These keys weren't created by the installer, so it can't remove them (GIMP itself doesn't use registry). My guess is that they were created by Explorer when manipulating file associations through it.

I probably need to run something to get the system to do a REGISTRY RELOAD. That's not a very proper term, but let me try this and see what occurs.

Registry changes are instantaneous.