RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

add a polygonal selection tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

add a polygonal selection tool Christian Scholz 12 Sep 18:47
  add a polygonal selection tool Liam R E Quin 12 Sep 19:05
   add a polygonal selection tool Sven Neumann 12 Sep 19:48
   add a polygonal selection tool saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 12 Sep 19:48
    add a polygonal selection tool Liam R E Quin 12 Sep 21:00
  add a polygonal selection tool Sven Neumann 12 Sep 19:16
   add a polygonal selection tool The Peach 12 Sep 19:47
    add a polygonal selection tool saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com 12 Sep 19:53
     add a polygonal selection tool The Peach 12 Sep 20:07
46EA59C3.2010307@web.de Christian 14 Sep 11:52
Christian Scholz
2007-09-12 18:47:10 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

I read about this in the gimp bugzilla, where Sven suggested someone should describe scenarios, when a polygonal selection tool could be usefull. So this is what I try to do here :

Most of the problems involve consecutive use of polygonal selection an other selection tools.

E.g. I made a rectangular selection. Now I changed my mind and want to cut little triangles into the selection. However the only way to do this is to use the path tool right from the beginning.

So I repeated everything until I got a similar result using the path tool by creating the whole selection from the beginning... Now I want to cut little circles into the selection, so I convert the path into a selection and cut the circles in it. However, when I want to cut further polygonal shapes out of the selection or add polygonal shapes afterwards, I cannot return to the path without destroying the circles that I already deleted from the selection.

Basically that is the problem, which cannot be solved using the path tool, as far as I know. If the free selection tool(F) would allow similar behavior than the brush, that is drawing straight lines when pressing shift, I could do all this, without ever changing from selection tools to the path tool. Another option would be an additional polygonal selection tool. The way it should work is similar to the free selection tool, however drawing straight lines. Additionally it should be possible to draw the lines in fixed angles when pressing ctrl, just like the brush.

I know this might be related to the style I am using the selections, but I thing a lot of people do it this way, especially when trying to design something, rather than editing photos or images.

I don't know if anyone here considers this feature as really important, but I know a lot of people that complained about this and who where asking for it. I would be glad to have it in gimp. ______________________

Liam R E Quin
2007-09-12 19:05:56 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 18:47 +0200, Christian Scholz wrote: [...]

Most of the problems involve consecutive use of polygonal selection an other selection tools.

E.g. I made a rectangular selection. Now I changed my mind and want to cut little triangles into the selection. However the only way to do this is to use the path tool right from the beginning.

I often find myself using the free selection tool to cut polygonal holes in a selection, one side at a time -- if you draw an arc with the free selection tool, gimp connects the endpoints, so you make those endpoints two vertices of the polygon, and eventually you get there.

It's not entirely true to say you had to have used paths from the start, since you can save the first selection to a channel, make the new one with paths, including an approximate, much larger outer rectangle, and then convert to selection and intersect with the saved selection.

Liam

Sven Neumann
2007-09-12 19:16:41 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 18:47 +0200, Christian Scholz wrote:

That is not correct. You can create triangular path(s) using the path tool and subtract them from the existing selection. That's exactly what you would do with the polygonal selection tool if such a tool existed.

Sven

The Peach
2007-09-12 19:47:36 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:16:41 +0200 Sven wrote:

That is not correct. You can create triangular path(s) using the path tool and subtract them from the existing selection. That's exactly what you would do with the polygonal selection tool if such a tool existed.

maybe the polygonal selection tool is just syntactic sugar. a sort of "one click less than" using the path tool. So, if this is the way to think about polygonal selection tool, then add a default keybind for "make it a selection", as the "intelligent scissors" tool has.

PS: I should investigate if the "intelligent scissors" tool has already got an enhancement request for behaving like the path tool (read: create paths).

Sven Neumann
2007-09-12 19:48:15 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:05 -0400, Liam R E Quin wrote:

It's not entirely true to say you had to have used paths from the start, since you can save the first selection to a channel, make the new one with paths, including an approximate, much larger outer rectangle, and then convert to selection and intersect with the saved selection.

You don't need to save the selection to a channel. You can intersect the selection with the path. Watch the tooltip on the "Create Selection" button in the Path tool options.

Sven

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2007-09-12 19:48:51 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Quoting Liam R E Quin :

GIMP 2.4 (RC2) allows you to add/subtract/intersect a path to/from/with the selection by using the SHIFT/CTRL/(SHIFT+CTRL) keys when you hit ENTER (or click on the "Create Selection from Path" button in the Tool Options).

saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
2007-09-12 19:53:35 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Quoting The Peach :

maybe the polygonal selection tool is just syntactic sugar. a sort of "one click less than" using the path tool. So, if this is the way to think about polygonal selection tool, then add a default keybind for "make it a selection", ...

Try hitting the ENTER key. :-)

The Peach
2007-09-12 20:07:40 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:53:35 -0400 saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote:

ENTER key

d'ho!

Liam R E Quin
2007-09-12 21:00:14 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 13:48 -0400, saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote:

Quoting Liam R E Quin :

GIMP 2.4 (RC2) allows you to add/subtract/intersect a path to/from/with the selection by using the SHIFT/CTRL/(SHIFT+CTRL) keys when you hit ENTER (or click on the "Create Selection from Path" button in the Tool Options).

Right, which is what I usually do in fact, but I wanted to point out that if you've already made a complex selection, e.g. that took half an hour to create, and now you want to subtract some polygons, you don't have to start over.

Liam

Christian
2007-09-14 11:52:03 UTC (almost 17 years ago)