RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Startup problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Startup problems NoviceGimper 17 Jan 13:51
  Startup problems René Grognard 17 Jan 23:31
   Startup problems NoviceGimper 20 Jan 20:14
    Startup problems René Grognard 21 Jan 03:34
     Startup problems NoviceGimper 21 Jan 08:36
2012-01-17 13:51:18 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Startup problems

Hi there

I think I may have posted this question into the wrong thread. Hoping someone can help me. I have become quite fond of GIMP and use it to make posters, images and colouring pages for my classroom. I recently was given a new HP Probook 4530s with Intel Core i5 processor and it is running Windows 7. I tried to download and install Gimp 2.6 but when I start up I get an error saying: The procedure entry point libintl_setlocale could not be located in the dynamic link library intl.dll.

On the Gimp FAQ - it says that this is a fault connected to HP machines and that a broken app placed the file in the system32 directory. It also says that I should rename the file and it should work.

I am not quite computer savvy - so I would like someone in the know to help me out here.

1. What should I rename the file to? And should I move the file from the system 32 folder to like some Gimp folder?

2. Some other HP user said that renaming the file interefered with some Logon User Interface - I am not going to pretend like I even understand what this means - but it reads as if merely renaming the file caused something else to malfunction.

Like I said earlier - I am very naive when it comes to computers and how they work so may I please ask someone who has successfully resolved the problem to talk me through step-by-step (I mean like seriously treat me as if I am someone who has just learned to turn a PC on) on how to fix this problem.

I sont even know what to rename the offending system 32 file. Is that intl.dll file the system32 file for windows - or does it contain all the files for Gimp including legitimate Windows files. Uuuurgh - so confusing. As far as I can see when I start up Gimp - all the plug-ins and things like web-browser.exe files cannot be found. I dont know what registry items and all that in-the-know pc speak is all about. I really need my hand held on this.

Can anyone help out a naive schoolteacher in Africa with this? Anyone? Sorry if I posted this twice by accident (told ya - dumb pc user I am!)

Thanks

René Grognard
2012-01-17 23:31:21 UTC (about 12 years ago)

Startup problems

"NoviceGimper", your first query was not at all posted to the wrong thread. I also tried to install GIMP-2.0 on my new HP ProBook running Windows 7 (WIN32) and got conflict between the intl.dll (a small 44KB Dynamic Link Library used by the HP logon procedure; the file is in the subdirectory C:/Windows/System32 together with intl.cpl, a Control Panel item). The reason is that GIMP has its own intl.dll much larger library (165KB), whence all these missing items because GIMP looks first into C:/Windows/System32 and finds the HP intl.dll which has nothing to do with it. The FAQ we both refer to is IMO misleading inasmuch as one should not remove the intl.dll found on the HP --- it is hardly "broken" ! --- otherwise the HP logon procedure will stall and you'll be in trouble if you erased it. Made weary of such a rash procedure I simply had changed its extension to intl.bak and once I had regained control I simply changed it back. Meanwhile GIMP-2.0 was correctly installed and worked as far as I could tell. But I only tried GIMP because on my new HP I cannot use the copy of PhotoShop I bought for my old Dell. Thus it was more important/convenient for me to return my HP to its original logon procedure. Too bad for GIMP. I would have expected of GIMP to look first in its own stock of DLL's as indeed do the Computer Algebra Systems I am familiar with but apparently this is not possible. Jernej Simončič replied to me that: >> Because the DLL search path in Windows is roughly "executable directory,

Windows\System32, Windows, %PATH%". Unfortunately, GIMP's plug-ins are all individual executables, but they don't reside in the same directory as gimp.exe, and as such look for DLLs in the System32 directory before looking in GIMP's install dir.

In that case I can only suggest to try the following procedure (at your own risk if your HP differs from mine!). Logon as usual and just before installing and then using GIMP change the HP intl.dll into intl.bak (assuming you give yourself the authority to do so). After you have finishd with GIMP do not forget to return intl.bak to its original extension: intl.dll Well that is not very nice but not as rash (foolish?) as deleting the original intl.dll and I cannot suggest anything else nor did anyone else so far. I wish GIMP and/or HP would have used a more specific and imaginative file name than intl !!! René.> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:51:18 +0100

To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
CC: team@gimpusers.com
Subject: [Gimp-user] Startup problems

Hi there

I think I may have posted this question into the wrong thread. Hoping someone can help me. I have become quite fond of GIMP and use it to make posters, images and colouring pages for my classroom. I recently was given a new HP Probook 4530s with Intel Core i5 processor and it is running Windows 7. I tried to download and install Gimp 2.6 but when I start up I get an error saying: The procedure entry point libintl_setlocale could not be located in the dynamic link library intl.dll.

On the Gimp FAQ - it says that this is a fault connected to HP machines and that a broken app placed the file in the system32 directory. It also says that I should rename the file and it should work.

I am not quite computer savvy - so I would like someone in the know to help me out here.

1. What should I rename the file to? And should I move the file from the system 32 folder to like some Gimp folder?

2. Some other HP user said that renaming the file interefered with some Logon User Interface - I am not going to pretend like I even understand what this means - but it reads as if merely renaming the file caused something else to malfunction.

Like I said earlier - I am very naive when it comes to computers and how they work so may I please ask someone who has successfully resolved the problem to talk me through step-by-step (I mean like seriously treat me as if I am someone who has just learned to turn a PC on) on how to fix this problem.

I sont even know what to rename the offending system 32 file. Is that intl.dll file the system32 file for windows - or does it contain all the files for Gimp including legitimate Windows files. Uuuurgh - so confusing. As far as I can see when I start up Gimp - all the plug-ins and things like web-browser.exe files cannot be found. I dont know what registry items and all that in-the-know pc speak is all about. I really need my hand held on this.

Can anyone help out a naive schoolteacher in Africa with this? Anyone? Sorry if I posted this twice by accident (told ya - dumb pc user I am!)

Thanks

-- NoviceGimper (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

2012-01-20 20:14:31 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Startup problems

Hello

Thanks for your help. I was not able to access the net sooner so I am sorry for the late reply. I guess then what I need to do is (- please may you correct me if I have misunderstood your advice)

1. deinstall Gimp and all its components 2. open Windows system 32 file - find intl.dll - and then rename it to intl.bak 3. download and reinstall Gimp
4. Upon reattempt at installation of Gimp in theory, it should then not recognise or confuse System32's intl.dll (now called intl.bak) with its own thus installing itself correctly with all its extensions 5. reopen Windows32 system folder and rename intl.bak to the original intl.dll

Hope I have it right? I can see how it should work if it is confusing HP's System32 intl.dll with it's own.

One more question if you would oblige - do I have to do this -every time that I start up Gimp or just this once when installing it?

Thanks so much for you time again.

Candice

"NoviceGimper", your first query was not at all posted to the wrong thread. I also tried to install GIMP-2.0 on my new HP ProBook running Windows 7 (WIN32) and got conflict between the intl.dll (a small 44KB Dynamic Link Library used by the HP logon procedure; the file is in the subdirectory C:/Windows/System32 together with intl.cpl, a Control Panel item). The reason is that GIMP has its own intl.dll much larger library (165KB), whence all these missing items because GIMP looks first into C:/Windows/System32 and finds the HP intl.dll which has nothing to do with it. The FAQ we both refer to is IMO misleading inasmuch as one should not remove the intl.dll found on the HP --- it is hardly "broken" ! --- otherwise the HP logon procedure will stall and you'll be in trouble if you erased it. Made weary of such a rash procedure I simply had changed its extension to intl.bak and once I had regained control I simply changed it back. Meanwhile GIMP-2.0 was correctly installed and worked as far as I could tell. But I only tried GIMP because on my new HP I cannot use the copy of PhotoShop I bought for my old Dell. Thus it was more important/convenient for me to return my HP to its original logon procedure. Too bad for GIMP. I would have expected of GIMP to look first in its own stock of DLL's as indeed do the Computer Algebra Systems I am familiar with but apparently this is not possible. Jernej Simončič replied to me that: >> Because the DLL search path in Windows is roughly "executable directory,

Windows\System32, Windows, %PATH%". Unfortunately, GIMP's plug-ins are all individual executables, but they don't reside in the same directory as gimp.exe, and as such look for DLLs in the System32 directory before looking in GIMP's install dir.

In that case I can only suggest to try the following procedure (at your own risk if your HP differs from mine!). Logon as usual and just before installing and then using GIMP change the HP intl.dll into intl.bak (assuming you give yourself the authority to do so). After you have finishd with GIMP do not forget to return intl.bak to its original extension: intl.dll Well that is not very nice but not as rash (foolish?) as deleting the original intl.dll and I cannot suggest anything else nor did anyone else so far. I wish GIMP and/or HP would have used a more specific and imaginative file name than intl !!! René.> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:51:18 +0100

Hi there

Thanks

-- NoviceGimper (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

René Grognard
2012-01-21 03:34:53 UTC (about 12 years ago)

Startup problems

Hi Candice, Let me spell it out again with my sincere apologies to all the non-HP GIMP users for boring them to tears but not eternally I hope!
On my HP ProBook 4730s I had indeed managed to install GIMP by first changing the HP version of intl.dll into intl.bak. For further reference the GIMP installer had created a head directory GIMP-2.0 in the C:/Program Files of my HP.
To get the flavour of GIMP I just used it for some image manipulations I routinely use with Photoshop on my old Dell, a rather expensive software which cannot be transferred to my new HP. I was impressed by GIMP which is free-ware after all.
Then of course I returned my HP to its original set-up by changing intl.bak into intl.dll because I had found out with earlier attempts that the HP login would no longer work without that file and had to be by-passed just to regain control --- that depends how you customised your HP in the first place. Once the HP login procedure is returned to normal the activation of Gimp fails. (At once script-fu.exe cannot find something in that intl.dll library.) No use to complain to HP. I got nowhere with HP support on the matter of their login procedure for their ProBok S-series, whether some GIMP users might deem that procedure "broken" or not.
I thought you would have to repeat the procedure used to install GIMP each time you'd want to use GIMP. A bit of a pain... However Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wondered if one could not circumvent GIMP's "plug-in" problem on the HP by copying GIMP's intl.dll into any GIMP subdirectory containing a plug-in. At least this couldn't interfere with anything but GIMP. Thus I copied the intl.dll file from GIMP-2.0/bin into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins where all the plug-ins seem to be collected (including the script-fu.exe above) and presto I was in business! The results of running again my previous tests were just as expected BUT only a GIMP expert could tell us if this is the solution of the HP problem. I have some doubt that it is that simple otherwise it would have been already known... Thanks to Kevin anyway for his suggestion and greetings from (wet) Sydney. René.

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:14:31 +0100 From: forums@gimpusers.com

Hello

Thanks for your help. I was not able to access the net sooner so I am sorry for the late reply. I guess then what I need to do is (- please may you correct me if I have misunderstood your advice)

1. deinstall Gimp and all its components 2. open Windows system 32 file - find intl.dll - and then rename it to intl.bak 3. download and reinstall Gimp
4. Upon reattempt at installation of Gimp in theory, it should then not recognise or confuse System32's intl.dll (now called intl.bak) with its own thus installing itself correctly with all its extensions 5. reopen Windows32 system folder and rename intl.bak to the original intl.dll

Hope I have it right? I can see how it should work if it is confusing HP's System32 intl.dll with it's own.

One more question if you would oblige - do I have to do this -every time that I start up Gimp or just this once when installing it?

Candice

2012-01-21 08:36:18 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Startup problems

Excellent - I also wondered if I could copy the the file into Gimp folder. But like I said - too naive on a computer so I was nervous to try anything.
You are wonderfully kind - thanks again for your brilliant help. Going to try doing this tomorrow evening when I have some time.

Candice (totally overcast but hot and humid as any other regular Summery day in South Africa)

Hi Candice, Let me spell it out again with my sincere apologies to all the non-HP GIMP users for boring them to tears but not eternally I hope!

On my HP ProBook 4730s I had indeed managed to install GIMP by first changing the HP version of intl.dll into intl.bak. For further reference the GIMP installer had created a head directory GIMP-2.0 in the C:/Program Files of my HP.

To get the flavour of GIMP I just used it for some image manipulations I routinely use with Photoshop on my old Dell, a rather expensive software which cannot be transferred to my new HP. I was impressed by GIMP which is free-ware after all.

Then of course I returned my HP to its original set-up by changing intl.bak into intl.dll because I had found out with earlier attempts that the HP login would no longer work without that file and had to be by-passed just to regain control --- that depends how you customised your HP in the first place. Once the HP login procedure is returned to normal the activation of Gimp fails. (At once script-fu.exe cannot find something in that intl.dll library.) No use to complain to HP. I got nowhere with HP support on the matter of their login procedure for their ProBok S-series, whether some GIMP users might deem that procedure "broken" or not.

I thought you would have to repeat the procedure used to install GIMP each time you'd want to use GIMP. A bit of a pain... However Kevin Brubeck Unhammer wondered if one could not circumvent GIMP's "plug-in" problem on the HP by copying GIMP's intl.dll into any GIMP subdirectory containing a plug-in. At least this couldn't interfere with anything but GIMP. Thus I copied the intl.dll file from GIMP-2.0/bin into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins where all the plug-ins seem to be collected (including the script-fu.exe above) and presto I was in business! The results of running again my previous tests were just as expected BUT only a GIMP expert could tell us if this is the solution of the HP problem. I have some doubt that it is that simple otherwise it would have been already known... Thanks to Kevin anyway for his suggestion and greetings from (wet) Sydney. René.

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:14:31 +0100 From: forums@gimpusers.com

Hello

Candice