RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to open image in existing gimp instance

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to open image in existing gimp instance Tanveer Singh 25 Mar 06:21
  How to open image in existing gimp instance Michael Beckwith 25 Mar 06:39
   How to open image in existing gimp instance Tanveer Singh 25 Mar 07:09
    How to open image in existing gimp instance Sven Neumann 25 Mar 08:17
     How to open image in existing gimp instance Tanveer Singh 25 Mar 08:48
How to open image in existing gimp instance Bob Long 25 Mar 08:51
  How to open image in existing gimp instance Tanveer Singh 25 Mar 09:18
How to open image in existing gimp instance Bob Long 26 Mar 01:36
  How to open image in existing gimp instance Tanveer Singh 26 Mar 05:21
Tanveer Singh
2008-03-25 06:21:52 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Hi,
I am using GIMP 2.4 on windows XP.
My workflow is like this
I open up the file browser, right click on image, and open with gimp. then I edit save and close the image window, leaving gimp running then I do the same for the next image(right click->open with gimp) the problem is that it starts a new instance of gimp. I don't want that. I want the same instance of gimp. How to do that? Is there a gimp option on the command line which allows you to open the image in currently running gimp? regards
Tanveer

Michael Beckwith
2008-03-25 06:39:47 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Try dragging the image onto the tool area in gimp.

Tanveer Singh wrote:

Hi,
I am using GIMP 2.4 on windows XP.
My workflow is like this
I open up the file browser, right click on image, and open with gimp. then I edit save and close the image window, leaving gimp running then I do the same for the next image(right click->open with gimp) the problem is that it starts a new instance of gimp. I don't want that. I want the same instance of gimp. How to do that? Is there a gimp option on the command line which allows you to open the image in currently running gimp? regards
Tanveer
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Tanveer Singh
2008-03-25 07:09:51 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Michael Beckwith wrote:

Try dragging the image onto the tool area in gimp.

This is what I am doing. But it a trifle cumbersome, I would like it if there was a gimp option.
sometimes I open multiple images at once, right clicking multiple and then opening in gimp would mean so many gimps! I want one GIMP only please.
:)

Sven Neumann
2008-03-25 08:17:59 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 11:39 +0530, Tanveer Singh wrote:

sometimes I open multiple images at once, right clicking multiple and then opening in gimp would mean so many gimps! I want one GIMP only please.

This is supposed to happen (one GIMP instance only). What operating system are you using? Where did you get your GIMP binary from?

Sven

Tanveer Singh
2008-03-25 08:48:06 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

> sometimes I open multiple images at once, right clicking multiple and > then opening in gimp would mean so many gimps! > I want one GIMP only please.

This is supposed to happen (one GIMP instance only). What operating system are you using? Where did you get your GIMP binary from?

I am using the stable downloaded version from gimp.org, and I am using winxp If I select multiple files it opens one instance only(my mistake earlier), but if GIMP is already open and then I rightclick and open another file with gimp it opens up a new gimp instance.

Bob Long
2008-03-25 08:51:05 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

I'll chime in here regarding my situation...

Windows XP. GIMP 2.4.5. Binary is Jernej's http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.4.5-i686-setup.exe Windows file association (for .bmp for my tests) is to "gimp-2.4" (C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-2.4.exe). Multiple instances of GIMP arise.

If I associate to gimpwin-remote (C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe) then only one instance of GIMP appears. However, there also appears a message in its own window: "GIMP Message Opening 'C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-2.4.exe' failed: unknown file type" (which can be closed without harm).

I don't select multiple images to open at once, but open one image from the file manager, then click on another image to open it. Interestingly, the "GIMP Message" error appears only when the first image is opened. If I close the error window and open subsequent images, the error does not appear again (unless I close GIMP completely, and then it appears again for the first image opened).

Tanveer Singh
2008-03-25 09:18:09 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Bob Long wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 11:39 +0530, Tanveer Singh wrote: >
>> sometimes I open multiple images at once, right clicking multiple and >> then opening in gimp would mean so many gimps! >> I want one GIMP only please.
>
> This is supposed to happen (one GIMP instance only). What operating > system are you using? Where did you get your GIMP binary from?

I'll chime in here regarding my situation...

Windows XP. GIMP 2.4.5. Binary is Jernej's http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.4.5-i686-setup.exe Windows file association (for .bmp for my tests) is to "gimp-2.4" (C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-2.4.exe). Multiple instances of GIMP arise.

If I associate to gimpwin-remote (C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe) then only one instance of GIMP appears. However, there also appears a message in its own window: "GIMP Message Opening 'C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-2.4.exe' failed: unknown file type" (which can be closed without harm).

I don't select multiple images to open at once, but open one image from the file manager, then click on another image to open it. Interestingly, the "GIMP Message" error appears only when the first image is opened. If I close the error window and open subsequent images, the error does not appear again (unless I close GIMP completely, and then it appears again for the first image opened).

Thanks! I will associate gimpwin-remote instead of gimp.exe. But I guess that error message can be filed as a bug report.

Bob Long
2008-03-26 01:36:30 UTC (over 16 years ago)

Tanveer Singh wrote:

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Bob Long wrote:

[..]

[..]

Thanks! I will associate gimpwin-remote instead of gimp.exe. But I guess that error message can be filed as a bug report.

With the clue from Peter taylor's message, this fixed the error window for me:

From the gimp-win-remote README file (which I don't think is included in the

GIMP files):

Save the following between the dashes to a "gimp-win-remote.reg", and remember
to change the gimp-2.4.exe to the version you wish to run. Please note that to
execute the new "gimp-win-remote.reg file will require administrative rights.

------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\gimp-win-remote] @="gimp-2.4.exe"
------

Then, in Windows Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|File Types edit the association you are using and change the command line in the field "Application used to perform action:" from "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe" gimp-2.4.exe "%1" to
"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe" "%1"

Tanveer Singh
2008-03-26 05:21:05 UTC (over 16 years ago)

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Bob Long wrote:

Tanveer Singh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 1:21 PM, Bob Long wrote:

[..]

>> If I associate to gimpwin-remote (C:\Program >> Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe) then only one instance of >> GIMP appears. However, there also appears a message in its own >> window: "GIMP Message Opening 'C:\Program >> Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-2.4.exe' failed: unknown file type" (which >> can be closed without harm).

[..]

> Thanks! I will associate gimpwin-remote instead of gimp.exe. > But I guess that error message can be filed as a bug report.

With the clue from Peter taylor's message, this fixed the error window for me:

>From the gimp-win-remote README file (which I don't think is included in the GIMP files):

Save the following between the dashes to a "gimp-win-remote.reg", and remember
to change the gimp-2.4.exe to the version you wish to run. Please note that to
execute the new "gimp-win-remote.reg file will require administrative rights.

------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\GNU\gimp-win-remote] @="gimp-2.4.exe"
------

Then, in Windows Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|File Types edit the association you are using and change the command line in the field "Application used to perform action:" from "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe" gimp-2.4.exe "%1" to
"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin\gimp-win-remote.exe" "%1"

Thanks! problem solved!
Its done!